Homework questions
1. a. Do you have any international friends or a host family? If so, how would you express your condolences to them if a family member died? If not, then how would you express condolences to an American host family if their Grandmother died? b. Have you ever been to a foreign funeral?
2. a.Why are Japanese designer label crazy? Why is what you wear so important?
2. a.Why are Japanese designer label crazy? Why is what you wear so important?
b.What does “Don’t judge a book by its cover” mean to you?
Answers
1. a. When I was studying abroad in Hirakata-shi (halfway between Osaka and Kyoto) I had a Japanese host family. I liked them very, very much, so I'm glad nobody in their family died while I was there. However, if I ever needed to attend a Japanese funeral, I would be sure to wear black, and bring condolence money in a special black & white envelope to the ceremony. Also, I might send flowers. I've heard there's something special you can say in Japanese to express "I'm very sorry for your loss," and tell them you're sad that such a bad thing happened, but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe someone can let me know in a Comment?
b. I've never been to a foreign funeral. Actually, I've only been to one funeral in my whole life: it was for my grandfather, who died a long time ago while I was in junior high. I don't remember much about it except standing next to the grave when we went to the cemetery to bury him.
2. a. Hmmm. I really don't care about fashion at all, because I usually spend my money on other things. But if I were to guess, I'd say it's nice to have a fancy designer label on things for several reasons. When they see a famous name on something you own, other people will recognize it, and think you have good taste, because designer labels have history and prestige attached to them by society. Also, designer goods are often expensive and usually well-made: when you buy them, you're advertising your knowledge about what's good quality, and also showing the fact that you are rich.
b. "Don't judge a book by its cover" means to me that you should actually try to avoid thinking the way I described in answer "a." That is, instead of just jumping to the conclusion that superficial, meaningless assets represent how good something is overall, you should try looking more deeply into matters and making an informed decision. For example, only assuming that a designer label means a better product, or believing that someone's physical beauty makes them a good person, is "judging a book by its cover." Testing an item for sturdiness, or becoming friends with someone, would be ways of "not judging a book by its cover." Basically, don't put all your faith in surface appearances alone!
Very interesting. I feel the same way, too!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you! people who wear expensive brand clothes may want to show it that they are rich or they want to give good impressions of them to everyone.
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting, Chiken!
ReplyDeleteActually, I read on someone else's class blog that buying designer goods makes the person who buys the designer goods *feel* rich, too. If you get a luxurious handbag, it makes you feel special, right? So maybe it's not all about what you look like, it's how you feel, too.
...I have a secret. I love designer handbags. But they're too expensive so I don't own one... >_>;;