Homework questions
1.Since Japanese weddings are expensive, do you think having a massive wedding like Korea or UAE is a good idea? Why?
2. What do you think about eloping? Is it a good idea or romantic? Why?
3. Have you ever thought about having a wedding in a foreign location like Hawaii? Would you do it? Why? Or Why not?
4.What is your ideal wedding?
5.What would you definitely do, wear or go to on that big day? Why is that important?
6. Have you ever been to a foreigner's wedding? What was your impression?
2. What do you think about eloping? Is it a good idea or romantic? Why?
3. Have you ever thought about having a wedding in a foreign location like Hawaii? Would you do it? Why? Or Why not?
4.What is your ideal wedding?
5.What would you definitely do, wear or go to on that big day? Why is that important?
6. Have you ever been to a foreigner's wedding? What was your impression?
Answers
1. For myself, I think I would get wayyyy~ too stressed out if I tried to have a huge wedding. I panic easily. Also, I hate spending money for something that isn't going to last very long (unless it's food!!) So to me, having a massive big wedding doesn't seem like a good idea. It would cost a lot, and then be over in just one day, so there doesn't seem to be much point. I would rather save the money, have a small wedding, and then go on a long vacation afterwards... or maybe buy something important that will last a long time and be fun for me and my husband, like a nice kotatsu!
2. Mmmm I guess eloping might be romantic. While you're hiding away together, it could be super fun. But if you and your new husband's families don't like it that you ran away together, you'll have a big problem when you try to go home... so, if you're going to run away, you might as well run away forever, not just for the wedding. So maybe eloping is romantic, but it's not really a smart or practical thing to do - most of the time. It kind of depends on the circumstances and what's happening, I guess. If you feel like it's the only way to be with the person you love, then I would say "do it!"
3. I want to get married in Japan, at a shrine! 神社 are beautiful and I am Shinto, after all. But I'm not sure I like the idea of a Japanese wedding reception. It sounds very formal. Four of my friends got married this year, and they all had big parties afterward for the reception - people danced and sang and ate a lot. Those parties were very very fun, so I'd like to have a reception more like American style. I kind of worry it would be hard to get a Shinto wedding here because I'm a foreigner though... my Japanese is sort of okay, but it might be difficult to communicate. And what if there are no shrines that will marry 外国人...?
4. To be honest, I don't know if I'll ever get married. I have a lot of different ideas about getting married, and about what sort of wedding ceremony I'd like if I did. If I had to pick just one way, I guess I would stick with wanting to have a Shinto wedding at Fushimi-Inari Taisha 伏見稲荷大社. (I don't even know if they allow people to get married there, hahaha...) But if I could, I'd do the traditional Japanese ceremony there, and then have a big American-style reception. There would be tons of good food - all my favorite things to eat. Also, I'd want a huge, huge HUGE beautiful cake. In Japan they sometimes have fake cakes that the bride and groom cut together, but mine has to be a REAL cake, and it has to be delicious. Yeah, those are the most important things to me... going to a shrine and then having delicious cake... and then afterwards a fun trip somewhere for the honeymoon. Like Disneyland.
5. If absolutely nothing else works out, I'd definitely eat lots of cake. The cake is the most important part of the wedding to me, because I love food... and wedding cake is special, special cake. You don't get to eat it very often. And of course, on that day I would cry alot. I'm the type of person who cries when they get emotional - even when I'm very happy.
6. Actually, I haven't ever been to a foreign wedding. Those four friends of mine who got married this year all had sort of "normal" American weddings, mostly Christian-themed. Many foreign wedding customs sound interesting, though. I think Americans like to pick and choose different events to include in their weddings, sometimes they pick things from foreign traditions even if they don't belong to that country.
hello :)
ReplyDeleteyour opinion of no.2 is the same as mine.
the eloping sounds like exciting and romantic, but it is not for them...
I really want to get along with my boy friend's parents like my real parents :D
Hi
ReplyDeleteDo you want to get married at a shrine in Janapan? I think you like Japanese culture than Japanese students. I want to get married at a church in foreign country.
Hi,
ReplyDeleteI agree with your opinion.
But I think....The eloping is not so romantic. It just looks escapism. I wanna get married after my parebts allow me.
Hello~★
ReplyDeleteI agree your opinion.
I want to buy "kotatsu" too!!
"kotatsu" is good item for evryone.
If you buy "kotastu", you can eat "mikan".
Hi. You really like Japanese shrine! But I think having a weddin at shrine is not fun.
ReplyDeleteI'm Japanese, so I don't think to have a wedding at the shrine.
Hi.
ReplyDeleteFushimi-Inari..In Kyoto?
You know better than I know. It is great.
I like to have a wedding at the shrine, but I think that there is expensive....maybe.
I agree that if I tried to have a huge wedding. I panic easily. I think I won't need to spend money for wedding.
ReplyDeleteGood morning everyone!
ReplyDelete@Blackcherry & Pine:
I think eloping might be the ultimate form of escapism. It's probably the most "running away from reality" kind of thing you can do in your life, haha! It's much better to just get along with the parents, I agree, even if you have to try really hard. My boyfriend's parents are nice, so I'm glad.
@Candy, Kamen and Akira:
People often say that I like Japanese things more than Japanese people. But I think Japanese people like American things more than I do... maybe we should all trade countries for a while, haha. I just think that shrines are beautiful, and I like Shinto's ideas about nature and ceremony. It seems almost magical to me. We don't have anything like shrines in America. Maybe getting married in Kyoto would be expensive but it might be worth it! And even though the ceremony at the shrine would be formal, I would want to have a big party afterward so all of us could relax and have fun.
@Vitamin:
Guess what, a friend gave me a kotatsu! I am so happyyyyyy~~ It's a tiny one that you can put under a table, or in your bed. I have it in my bed right now, it's keeping my feet so warm. Ahhhh, 幸せ~~~
@Pink:
Yeah, I guess it's best to save your money for something that will last more than one day, like I said. Though if I really could go to Fushimi-Inari for my wedding, I might spend the money. I'm not sure. Anyway, getting married might be far in my future! I'll think about it more seriously when someone actually proposes, haha.